10 Ways to Make the Most of a Locum Tenens Travel Assignment
For locum tenens physicians and traveling NPs, PAs and CRNAs, exploring a new city can be one of the greatest adventures of your life. Seizing the opportunity to fully live in your new home is just as important as packing clothes and forwarding mail. There is nothing worse than finding the perfect niche restaurant or a hidden marketplace on the last few days of a travel assignment.
Never fear. We’ve compiled choice suggestions to make the most of every travel assignment. Museums and parks might be a good place to start, but we’re digging deeper to ensure your assignment is truly memorable.
- Have a meal with your new colleagues. Let them choose the restaurant. You will meet your new co-workers and get a local’s look at the area.
- Reach out to non-profits, young professional groups and religious organizations to volunteer. This is a terrific way to not only give back but also meet other like-minded professionals.
- Take a trip on public transportation. Buses and streetcars stop at many of the city’s highlights and provide an easy way to learn the area. Also, ask your drivers what their favorite stop is and why.
- Rent a bike. Many cities now offer inexpensive bikes to combat traffic congestion and promote a healthy lifestyle. Slow down, set your own schedule, and take in the sights.
- Join a local co-rec sports league. Teams are always looking for players, and it’s a wonderful way to meet new people and discover the social scene.
- Check out online “best of…” lists published by local magazines or blogs. Try a few restaurants, visit a microbrewery, or enjoy a local ice cream shop.
- Go on a photographic treasure hunt. Take pictures of street signs, fountains, landmarks, parks and street art. Create an album to share with friends and family.
- Take an organized tour. Learn the stories that make the area unique by taking a historic or themed tour.
- Visit the library. See what’s happening on the community bulletin board. You will learn a lot about the personality of an area.
- Ask other locum tenens providers. Healthcare staffing companies like NEXTLocums are a great resource. Request advice and ideas for making the most of an assignment.
Seize the Opportunity a Travel Assignment Provides
A travel assignment should be a joy, not stressful, especially with a little foresight. Plan out a few activities before you leave, and dive into the delights in your new home with both feet.
Want to learn more or discover a new career as a locum tenens doctor or a traveling advanced practitioner, then contact NEXTLocums today and see how we’re improving healthcare in communities across the country with your help.